Saturday, February 9, 2008

James - Day 85: San Juan Del Sur, Nicaragua

It was almost to perfect the end of the beginning and the beginning of the end. On the side of the road just after paying off the police again on the pan-american we sat knowing that we would transision from riding shoulder to shoulder to one riding north while the other riding south. The umbilical cord between us would be the double yellows that we got to know so well on our trip of over 7,000 miles together from Boston through the blue ridge parkway to new orleans to austin and then on to the carribean mexico crossing the river to Guatemala and into Honduras with the immigration officer and then the beautiful dirt twisty through the mountains to Nicaragua. We visited many islands, been on volcanos, went diving on the second largest correl reef in northern
hemoshere. Stopped by military, met amazing people from around the world, talked with locals and found roads that didn't exist. we slept on the side of a highway and on a carribean cay. Drove through snow storms and on beaches. We ate beans and rice cooked in the bathroom in a nasty little motel and we ate like kings in the most beautiful swamp hostel in Guatemala. We surfed and hiked, we got sick in buisy hostels and on the side of volcanos. This is a trip of a lifetime and would not have been possible without Colin and I getting together and buying the bikes last minute.

It's kind of funny, being here in Nicaragua writing the blog in a hammoc on the beach watching the waves and listening to music from friends I feel at home many many miles from what i call home. But, at this age I am not sure if I have a single place I call home, I feel like a rambling man or that I have many places where I feel at home. The question arises, is my house my home or is it a place i feel at home. The same question arises for a church or temple or a monistary. For me this is an enlightening realization as I sit here. My home is where I am right now right this moment wether I like it or not. I am just getting to know this world I live on and understanding that this is my home, every inch of this planet and all of the people are my brothers and sisters.

I have been losing track of the days, and the date and the day of the week and the month. Time has become a thing of unimportance, it is made up. My plan from here is to travel south with Eva, Simon, Bonny, and Frauke to Costa Rica, surf the coast for a week and then head south to Panama, maybe for some diving and find the end of the pan american highway, then back to panama city and find a flight back "home" to Boston, or should I fly somewhere else...

2 comments:

Alice said...

Buenos Aires??? I miss you! And you owe me... :)

Leah said...

heyy buddy. come back to boston- for a bit atleast
leah