Thursday, February 21, 2008

Day ?

So I must have become obvious that the blog has been falling behind ever since we went surfing in Playa Maderas, Nicaragua. I blam not only myself but also the great waves and wonderful friends on the beach. It is really hard to sit down and write when the water is calling you and at night all you can really do is make dinner and go to sleep because of a full day of surfing.

I have lost track of the day of the trip, I will do some investigation work into this at home so that I can figure out exactly how long this trip was.

After San Juan Del Sur I headed to Tamarindo, Costa Rica to meet up with Bonnie Todd, Frauke Meyn, Simon and Eva Baudenbacher to rent a car and surf the Nicoya Coast. We ended up not renting the car because the guy would not let me read the insurance agreement. That night I made the decision to see the Panama Canal and in two days made it down to Panama City via the Pan American Highway. Crossing the boarder to Panama was very simple and quite cheap.

A really great moment was crossing the Panama Canal and arriving in Panama City. Finding the backpackers took me a few hours of getting lost in the city along with the fact that the backpackers moved and its only sign on a side street is a hand written sign in sharpy on the wall next to the doorbell. The backpackers was filled with travelers coming to and from Colombia via water and air. It was a great mixture of peaple just starting out their travels and people who have been traveling for 12 years.

Being a tourist I went to see the Panama Canal locks for the one day I was in Panama City. Looking quite simple the locks are just about 100 years old and are an amazing engineering feat. I can't Imagen what it looked like during World War II. It is a very simple design that utilizes the gravity of water filling up the locks one by one from the source lake.

The next day I booked it back to Tamarindo, a 16 hour trip that I did in two days on the way down. Back in Tamarindo I sold my amazing surfboard and tried to sell my bike with no luck. I recieved an email from a craigslist.org post of a guy in San Jose who wanted to buy it. To my luck I meet up with Frauke and Bonnie at Tranquilo Backpackers in San Jose and said my goodbyes.

I am selling my motorcycle to Tony from California who has been here in San Jose for 25 years. If it works our I will be flying back to the states tonight, back to Maine to regroup and then possibly off to Reno, NV for a RopeWorks Course for Wind Turbines.

No comments: